Islamabad, April 16 (QNA) – Pakistan insurgents on Wednesday
announced a decision not to extend a ceasefire with the government,
raising fears of a new wave of violence in the country.
The Taliban agreed to a month-long truce with the government on
March 1, which was later extended for ten days and finally ended on
April 10. Since then, the warring parties have been engaged in
intense consultations regarding a further extension, dpa reported.
“Our Shura (council) has decided not to extend the ceasefire. But
peace negotiations with the government will continue,” Taliban
spokesman Shahidullah Shahid said.
Shahid said the decision came after the government failed to respond
to a number of proposals including the release of Taliban prisoners.
He also accused Pakistani security forces of killing more than 40
men during the ceasefire.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif announced the peace talks in January,
which were intended to end a decade-long insurgency which killed over